Monday, September 5, 2011

The Basics: How I got into aviation

My interest in aviation sparked when I was about five years old and watched the Blue Angels for the first time at Wurtsmith Air Force Base in Oscoda, Michigan.  I was fascinated by all military aircraft and aircraft in general. I knew at a young age that I wanted to pursue a career as a pilot.  My family has an extensive history of military service, my uncles, grandfathers, and father have all served and I knew this was the route I wanted to take.

My initial plan was to attend college after high school, earn a degree and apply for OCS, instead, I enlisted in the Navy immediately after high school in 2002, and was probably the best decision I've ever made.  At that time, financially, college did not seem possible.  I went to boot camp three months after graduation, completed aircrew candidate school, rescue swimmer school, A-school, and SERE school all in my first year.  I have been stationed in Pt. Mugu, CA, Jacksonville, FL, Brunswick, ME, and Newport, RI.  I have done two Western Pacific deployments and multiple DOD and counter narcotics detachments, prior to being selected for a commissioning scholarship.

I was selected for pilot and will attend flight school in Pensacola, FL upon earning my degree in Aviation Management from EMU.  I plan to finish out a minimum 20 year career in the military and hopefully move to the airlines after.  I would like to continue flying but also work towards an MBA and eventually hold a management position with an airline or aviation organization in the future.

1 comment:

  1. Wow - sounds like a lot of good choices and a lot of good opportunities as a result. Is there any significance to the 0307?

    ReplyDelete